NFTY-NEL/MI SPRING KALLAH
Hosted jointly by NFTY and George, this is going to be an event to remember! The weekend will include programs planned by NFTY-NEL/MI regional teen leaders around social justice, Israel, celebrating Shabbat together, big fun, and more. We’re looking forward to providing an inclusive environment for all teens during Spring Kallah. We can’t wait to see you there!
Dates: Friday, April 28 – Sunday, April 30, 2023
Location: Camp George (Seguin, ON)
*Early Bird – $400 CDN ($296.73 USD) per person + HST (ends Friday March 10th)
*Regular – $420 CDN ($311.56 USD) per person + HST
*Registration includes roundtrip transportation from Toronto to camp. If travelling to Toronto from the USA by bus, an additional charge of $200 CDN ($150 USD) per person will apply.
Financial reasons should not be a barrier for teens to be able to attend and participate in URJ Camps & Immersives programs. In order to make our programming more accessible, we have created a “pre-approved” scholarship process. Please Click Here to complete the NFTY Regional Event Scholarship Request Form. You will be able to choose a scholarship amount appropriate for your family, and will be emailed a discount code to be used during registration at check out.
Additional scholarships may also be available from your synagogue. Please contact them directly for additional financial assistance if needed.
Registration is NOW OPEN and will close on Monday, April 3, 2023
If you are taking a bus, below please find the stops for departure (Friday, April 28) and arrival (Sunday, April 30th)
· Cleveland, OH (TBD)
· Buffalo, NY (TBD)
· Toronto, ON (TBD)
The departure and arrival times will be updated on this page.
There will be stops along the way for Cleveland and Buffalo teens at rest stops. Please pack money for lunch for Friday and Sunday (you can also pack lunch and snacks; please be sure they are nut free).
Teens will now be able to drive themselves and their friends to the event. Parents of the driver and of the passengers will be required to sign a release form for the teens to drive themselves. Please indicate on the registration if your teen will be driving themselves/being driven.
If driving, please arrive by Friday, April 28th at 4:30pm, and plan to be picked up on Sunday, April 30th at 9:45am. Camp’s address is: 45 Good Fellowship Rd, Seguin, ON, P2A 0B2
Social Media “Like” NFTY-NEL on Facebook as we post pictures, updates, and information. Also, follow @nftynel on Instagram. During events and throughout the year, we post updates.
Who can come to NFTY-NEL Spring Kallah?
All 7th-12 graders are welcome to attend this teen powered weekend. This retreat is full of exciting programs, meaningful tefillah, and NFTY/camp activities, all led and planned by teens.
All are welcome, whether you are a first-timer or returning NFTYite.
What should teens pack?
- Sleeping bag, and pillow
- Comfortable Clothes - we suggest packing layers!
- Merch – show your NEL spirit!
- Shabbat Clothing
- Dressing up for Shabbat is optional – we’ll have a little time to change, but we’ll be jumping quickly from our Shabbat celebration to exciting programming, so wear something you’ll be comfortable in. Please wear clothing and shoes that allow you to comfortably walk around, stand up, sit down, dance, etc. while remaining appropriately covered.
- Warm Jacket for time spent outside
- Shoes that can get muddy while outside
- Medications (inhalers, allergy meds, etc.)
Most participants take their daily medication on their own and keep it in the residences with them. If you need a reminder to take your medication, or if it needs to be refrigerated or taken under adult supervision, we’re happy to help. Email me and we can determine a plan for you.
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, comb or brush, etc.)
- Optional prayer garb (tallit, kippah, etc.)
- Towel and flip flops for showering
- Refillable water bottle
- NEL bead necklaces (we’ll provide if it’s your first event)
- Seniors – option to bring lanyards from all past events
- Money for the Shuk: Sunday morning there will be an opportunity to purchase some NFTY Merchandise. We have items ranging from $1-$30.
- For Buffalo and Cleveland bus participants: money for lunch on Friday and Sunday
NFTY and Camp George are not responsible for any damaged or missing personal belongings. We suggest you leave any valuable items at home.
Who should I reach out to with any questions?
If families have questions, please reach out to Lauren Bernstein, NFTY-NEL Regional Manager, at email@example.com.
To get in touch with Lauren for any reason during the event, they can call X. This will be available during the weekend, from Friday morning to Sunday evening.
What is NFTY?
NFTY has been the brand of teen engagement for the Reform movement for centuries. NFTY is a movement that builds strong, welcoming, inspired communities through teen-powered engagement. Together, we pursue tikkun olam (repairing the world), personal growth, youth empowerment, and deep connections, all rooted in Reform Judaism. What makes NFTY different than other youth organizations are our 13 Principles . When you register, the teen and parent both agree to these ideals.
NFTY events maintain high expectations of being a caring and safe community. To this end, each participant and parent will sign off on the NFTY Brit K’hilah, our code of conduct.
What if my teen takes medication?
Medications are required to be handed in and locked and stored at camp. We will have a responsible adult (not a medical professional) who is responsible for safely facilitating teens self-administering their medication. We will send out more detailed information prior to the event.
What are the covid policies?
- Vaccines REQUIRED: We will require ALL participants, staff, and adults to have completed the full COVID vaccination schedule that they are age-eligible for (CDC defines this as being “up to date”). URJ Vaccine Statement can be found here. Camp George will not be collecting proof of vaccinations and will rely on a system of trust among our community.
- The full COVID vacation schedule includes: primary COVID vaccination series (2 doses) and bivalent booster (1 dose, in accordance with the recommendations of the AAP and the CDC
- Pre-travel Rapid Antigen (RA) testing: We will require ALL participants, staff, and adults to self-administer a rapid antigen COVID test prior to travelling to the program or event. You may only attend if your RA test is negative for COVID. You do not need to submit this test.
- Mask-wearing throughout the event is optional. The URJ will be monitoring COVID as we get closer to the event and will update guidance as needed.
- On-site Rapid Antigen (RA) testing: During the event, there will be Rapid Antigen COVID tests available on site for anyone that has new onset COVID symptoms at the event. For the protection of our community, the program coordinator will help discern if someone with symptoms will test on site. Anyone who tests positive will be required to isolate and make arrangements to go home.
What is the cancellation policy?
There is no charge if you cancel before April 3rd. After April 3rd, there will be no refunds.
What are the requirements to cross the border into Canada?
To cross the border, your child must have with them a valid U.S. Passport. If they do not have their Passport, they must bring their birth certificate and a valid government issued photo ID.
Where will I be housed?
Teens will be staying in the lodge and new village cabins, all sleeping spaces are heated. Beds are single, and rooms vary from 2-20 people. Our goal is to place every participant in housing that affirming of their identities and allows them to experience a sense of belonging in our community. Camp George does not offer all gender group accommodations yet. You will get the opportunity during registration to indicate if you’d like to speak our staff to discuss your teens housing requirement and requests. Teens will be able to requests friends to stay with as well.
Are meals all provided?
Our meals over the weekend will have options for all food allergies: vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. If you marked an allergy on your registration, we are prepared to ensure you have options this weekend. Besides breakfast, lunch, and dinner, we will also be providing snacks throughout the weekend.
For teens travelling from the states, please either bring lunch or lunch money on Friday and Sunday.
For any event questions, please contact Lauren Bernstein, NFTY-NEL Regional Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org