Hello from Maple Lake! Camp is buzzing with excitement as we prepare to welcome our First Session campers in less than 48 hours. We cannot wait to begin our 21st summer! Here are just a few of the things we are excited about for Summer 2019:
- NEW menu items – as always, we are committed to healthy living on Maple Lake. We are excited to debut some changes to our menu including new items, the return of some beloved favourites as well as bigger portion sizes.
- A NEW toaster – we’ve added a second toaster to the dining hall!
- NEW docks at paddlesports and ski!
- NEW programming – we’ve added yoga and mindfulness as an activity area, pickleball will run on our tennis court, and we have expanded our cooking program.
- A NEW ropes course element – you’ll have to wait and see what it is!
- A NEW Zen Den– campers and staff will be able to use this accessible space for a quiet break.
- NEW, innovative and exciting programs for the camp community! Our staff have been working hard getting some amazing programs ready to go for Summer 2019!
As always, our staff week has been filled with meaningful moments, staff bonding and of course, lots of learning! From mixers and specialty area set up, to swim tests, and evening program planning, it’s been a fantastic week here at camp. We are very proud of our camp staff for their meaningful participation. We can’t wait to see them in action as camp kicks off. Here’s a sneak peek at some of the programs our staff have participated in:
- Workshops on a wide range of topics including managing job expectations, programming in the ‘in between’ moments, positive approaches to camper behaviour management, staff self care, unplugging at camp, supporting the social, emotional and mental well being of our campers, creating an inclusive and caring cabin community…and much more!
- Live Action Role Play training with True to Life Training
- LGBTQ+ and Consent training with CANVAS
- Emergency Procedure training and practise
- Program development
- A simulation morning where we practised running specialty areas
- Universal Precautions training…and much much more!
We are busy with final preparations and are looking forward to celebrating Shabbat as a staff community this evening. As always, we are incredibly grateful for the opportunity to provide each member of our camp community with a magical and transformative Jewish summer camp experience.
Remember to follow us online, you can find us on: our camp blog, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo and Instagram!
A reminder to parents in the GTA, join us for our upcoming “Parents’ Night Out” on July 17th at Safari Bar and Grill (1749 Avenue Road, Toronto).
Wishing you and your family Shabbat Shalom and we look forward to seeing all our First Session campers in just a few short days!
Jeff Rose, Director