Spring has sprung! Walking outside you can notice the plants changing everywhere. The buds and flowers have started to bloom after being dormant all winter long. In Judaism, we say a prayer in the spring when we first see a flowering fruit tree. Praying helps us to stop and appreciate the beautiful nature all around us. This week, we will be observing nature and creating beautiful art using the items we find.
And, don’t forget to check out what’s happening around our community and join in on our congregations virtual programs!
Activity 1: Nature Photography
Capture spring flowers growing on camera and discover their beauty!
- Grab a camera and head outside into your backyard, neighbourhood or nearby park
- Take photos of flowers that you find
- Take photos from different viewpoints. For example, get really close to the flower to reveal any hidden wonders that you did not notice from far away
- Try to capture as many different types of flowers that you can find including both planted by people and wildflowers
-Digital or cell phone camera
Activity 2: Press Flowers
Create a beautiful bookmark or poster for your wall using flowers from your neighbourhood!
- Gather fresh flowers
- Cut the stems of the flower to your desired length
- Place the flower and stem of your choice between two sheets of parchment paper. Then place the parchment paper inside pages of a heavy book
- Repeat step 3 for the rest of your flowers in various pages of the book
- Close the book and add additional books or objects on top of the book to weigh it down
- Leave it for 2-3 weeks to allow the flowers to dry fully
- After the wait, use tweezers to gently remove the paper thin flowers.
- Arrange the flowers into a design you like and glue onto a sheet of paper or bookmark
- -Flowers of your choice
- -Parchment paper (or flat cardboard, plain tissue paper, printer paper)
- -Several heavy books or weights
- -Construction paper or art paper
Activity 3: Flower Crown
Make your own crown using flowers as gems and jewels to decorate it. You will look like royalty wearing your colourful crown!
- Gather fresh flowers and leaves from your garden that can be used to dress up the crown
- Cut cardstock into strips then staple two strips together to make one long strip that can fit around your head
- Glue the flowers and leaves onto the crown or affix them using double sided tape
- -Flowers and Leaves
- -Heavy construction paper (card stock is best)
- -Double sided tape or glue
We hope you enjoy making art using spring flowers. Stay tuned next week for more at home activities!